School History

The Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls was formed in 1974 as a comprehensive school for girls. It was the result of an amalgamation of four schools: Ealing Girls' Grammar, Wood End, The Grange and St Ann's Secondary Modern.

It was named by the London Borough of Ealing after Miss Ellen Wilkinson. Ellen Wilkinson was the first female Minister for Education in the Post War Labour Government - she is remembered as the MP for Jarrow who led the Jarrow Marches to London to draw attention to the plight of the unemployed in the North East following the closure of the shipyard. She also introduced free school milk and raised the school leaving age to 15.

The Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls is Ealing's only all girls comprehensive school. We currently take pupils from ages 11 to 18. In 1991, under the LEA's reorganisation plans, it was proposed that we would become an 11-18 school in September 1992. It was as a response to these plans that the School sought Grant Maintained Status. This was accepted and we became Grant Maintained in April 1992. The Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls was one of five Grant Maintained Secondary Schools in Ealing.In September 1999 we became a Foundation School.

Pupils were admitted at the age of 12 years ie. into Year 8 until 1993. In that year, along with all Ealing Schools, we applied to the Secretary of State for a significant change of character in order to admit girls aged 11 (Year 7). This came into effect in September 1993 when the School had a double intake - 200 Year 8 pupils and 200 Year 7 pupils.  In September 1999 we were granted Beacon Status. In 2002 we were awarded Science and Mathematics Specialist College Status. This award enabled us to develop our curriculum, extend and enhance our facilities, and continue to grow both in size (over 1400 students) and as a successful school.